Why Florida Condominium & Homeowners Live with
Home » Important Posts » Why Florida Condominium & Homeowners Live with Mold
By | 5 CommentsLeave a Comment
Last updated: Wednesday, December 5, 2007


 

If you live in South West Florida, then you are accustom to mold. Mold is a fungus where can be found in indoor and outdoor air. High humidity areas such as showers, storage sheds and northern parts of buildings are where mold is most commonly found. Mold has micro-spores, which are spread easily through the air, water and even carried by insects. The spores are actually micro seeds that travel by even the slightest movement of air to form new colonies.

A constant water supply is ideal to promote mold growth, typically from sewage or pipe leaks. Also, Building materials such as wood, drywall and even dust combined with high humidity and moisture produce enough food sources for mold to multiply.

There is always some level of mold in the air. This is why it’s so easy for mold to quickly multiply with high humidity areas where moisture or other water source is present.

Allergic reactions are the most likely cause of exposure to mold.

People with chronic illnesses are the most accessible to mold exposure which could cause infections and a break down of their immune system. Currently there are controversial medical and scientific debates regarding the exact effects of toxic mold. However, allergic reaction is considered a most likely effect related to toxic mold.

According to the Florida Department of Health Department, testing to evaluate a mold problem is not recommended. Nor is it recommended to test for mold types that might be growing in your home.

Indoor mold growth can usually be seen or smelled. A musky smell is usually is a good indication of the present of mold. Look for a cottony, wet slime, grassy or velvety growth with many different colors. Signs of water leaks, standing water, water stains and even condensation is a place for possible mold growth. Also, around air conditioners, drain pans and drain lines could be a constant water source for mold development. The smell of musk is a dead giveaway of a potential mold problem; especially you have allergic reactions to low levels of mold.

There are many types of molds.

If indoor mold has been living and growing in a home for a substantial amount of time, it could develop and release a chemical called mycotoxins. This type of mold is also known as toxic mold or black mold. Stachybotrys chartarum is also called black mold and may produce mycotoxins. This type of mold grows on sheet-rock, tiles and wood from excessive moisture or water-damages. Although this type of mold growth looks the deadliest, the spores are usually covered by wet slime preventing from being air born. There had also been controversial reports that toxic mold in your home causes rare health problems.

Knowing the type of mold is unnecessary. If you see or smell mold in your home, then find and stop the water source, remove or promptly arrange for the removal of visible mold. All molds should be treated equally and be removed.

Removing mold by stopping the water source is the first step. After sealing existing water source, remove any moldy materials. Chemicals like bleach are only used after the moldy materials are removed. By stopping the water source, removing moldy materials and cleaning around the surfaces with a bleach solution should eliminate mold for good. If the job is too big, then you may hire a contractor. The contractor does not have to be a licensed mold remediation specialist. However, the contractor should follow the recommendations of the IPA. If you suspect the air conditioning being contaminated with mold, then have the air ducks professionally cleaned out. Always consult with a doctor before starting your own clean up.

Most black mold immediately found in and around your shower, rarely produce mycotoxins. Many types of molds are black. Although the Florida Department of Health does not recommend, trained specially licensed professionals can only identify Stachybotrys cultures. Again, all indoor mold growth should be promptly removed, regardless of type.
Currently there are no tests proving Stachybotrys cultures found in building produce toxins. Also, there are no blood or urine tests determining if Stachybotrys chartarum spores or its toxins have been exposed or not. For more information contact the Florida Department of Health, Collier County (239) 774-8200.
For related articles see, “Responsibilities of Association Directors & Officers” and “Condominium & Homeowner Limited Common Elements“. Also, for important updates, please subscribe to our community. Or by our complementary email services.

Comments

5 comments
  1. Lonnie Lopes
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007

    The educated Southerner has no use for an ‘R’, except at the beginning of a word.

    Leave a reply
  2. Wayne Dean
    Friday, April 22, 2011

    Mold and moldy odors with no sign of a water leak?
    Condos in hot, humid climates often have mold problems as a result of radon mitigation system operation. Mechanical ventilation radon systems can add 10 to well over one hundred pounds of water to a condo each day. Unless the air conditioner is running all the time, (which they never do) excess water vapor soaks into everything and when materials gets wet enough, mold grows everywhere with no sign of a water leak anywhere.
    SECRET, CONCEALED RADON SYSTEMS have been installed in hundreds, perhaps thousands of Florida condos. Sometimes it takes many months for the radon system to cause moisture saturation to become high enough to grow almost instantaneous mold.
    It is not difficult to reverse and to fix with a good understanding of building science.
    Curiously, Energy Recovery Ventilators ERVs also increase indoor relative humidity to 65% to 70% despite that the salesman advises that ERVs work perfectly to keep homes dry in Hot, Humid Climates.
    USEPA now advises that to avoid mold problems, indoor relative humidity should be maintained below 50%

    Leave a reply
  3. Mo2e
    Monday, October 26, 2015

    Generally I don’t learn post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very
    forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing
    style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great post.

    Leave a reply
  4. http://amazon.com
    Monday, October 26, 2015

    I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be what
    precisely I’m looking for. can you offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write with regards to
    here. Again, awesome weblog!

    Leave a reply
  5. z99p
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015

    I almost never leave a response, but i did a few searching and wound
    up here Why Florida Condominium & Homeowners Live with Mold | Gulfshore Property Mgmt.
    And I do have 2 questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Is it simply me or does it appear like some of these responses come across as if they are left by
    brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing
    at other online sites, I’d like to follow everything fresh you have to post.
    Would you make a list of the complete urls of all
    your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter
    feed?

    Leave a reply

Leave a Comment

← Prev Step

Thanks for contacting us. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Please provide a valid name, email, and question.

Powered by LivelyChat
  • You're chatting with
    Admin

Powered by LivelyChat Delete History
Copyright ©2016 Gulfshore Property Mgmt. All Rights Reserved.